Reclaimed wood has taken the world by storm due to its classic look and reduced carbon footprint. Properly-treated reclaimed wood can give any space a rustic appearance. Unfortunately, reclaimed wood that has not been treated in the right way can bring serious consequences, especially to indoor spaces.
1. It Can Make the Surrounding Air Toxic
Reclaimed wood that has been treated with harsh chemicals, like paints or stains, or contains VOCs (volatile organic compounds), can release toxins into the air, putting the health of you and your family at risk. Properly-treated reclaimed wood will not emit toxic gases, chemicals, or VOCs, and it is a much safer option when it comes to furnishing your home.
2. It Can Expose Your Indoor Space to Mold and Mildew
Nobody likes finding mold on groceries in the refrigerator, and it’s even more upsetting to find it on your reclaimed wood furnishings. If the wood you have purchased was exposed to extensive humidity or moisture, mold and mildew can manifest itself as unsightly fuzzy or dark spots on your wood. The issue isn’t just cosmetic, either. Mold and mildew can also release toxins that can cause respiratory issues in everyone, but especially young children and older adults.
3. It Can Bring Pests Indoors
Reclaimed wood that was gathered from a suspicious source can contain common pests like carpenter ants, termites, and other wood-eating critters. Although these insects likely won’t hurt your family directly, they can spread from reclaimed wood to your other fixtures, resulting in costly repairs throughout your home. Not to mention the unsettling feeling of knowing there are creepy insects all throughout your house.
If you want to bring the rustic aesthetic associated with reclaimed wood to your home or business, make sure you do it safely with help from professionals, like those at CDA Wood. CDA Wood is a sustainable specialty wood company that cares about giving your home or business the look you desire, while keeping you, and everyone around you, safe.